Re: RE: Re: ARES and Satellites

As someone who takes phone calls all day, from all sorts of places and
on all sorts of phones, I have to say the cellphones are the ones that
cause more problems for intelligibility than anything else,
speakerphones included.  I can always tell when a digital cell is
getting into a more marginal signal area -- all the DSP in the world
won't fix what's left of those signals.  They try, and to their credit,
they don't have static, but long before they drop out all you hear is
unintelligible gibberish, fragments of syllables and dropout
compensation.  The analog phones, perversely enough, can be almost out
of range enough to drop squelch on the cell site before the static
becomes loud enough that I can't copy, but thanks to the cell services
hassling us all to go digital, who has the old AMPS/NAMPS phones
anymore?  (Besides me that is..)

And it will only get worse, as profit margins get shaved and the
service providers are under more pressure to do more with less.  The
cramming more transmitters in without adding battery capacity, and so
on.  I have to wonder if people will get so disgusted with the hit or
miss quality of their cellphones that we see a resurgence in 2 meter FM
autopatches .. I have to admit that I've gotten on a patch now and then
when my AMPS phone can't get a usable signal, and while they used to be
dead even in terms of quality, the patch is now clearly superior ..

But if more people wake up to cellphones not being a panacea, maybe
they'll see that ham radio does have a place after all .. ;-) .. give
your girlfriend my congratulations ..

On Thursday, Aug 7, 2003, at 17:01 US/Central, Keith N6ORS wrote:

> Cell phones are fantastic!
> they are so fantastic in fact that my girlfriend got so tired of the
> crappy sound and unreliable service that she got her ham license!
>
> So see! they do serve a purpose.
>
> 73,
>
> Keith (N6ORS)
> author.

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
torn and twisted metal."