Re: Membership Drive Idea

[ Used to work on Acrobat when I was with Adobe, so I know a bit about
these things...]

There are three factors that control the the size of a PDF file.
1) Graphic resolution
2) Font Embedding
3) Compression

Depending on the version of Pagemaker you are using these things are
controlled in different ways.  But I'll try to go the most generic route.

They also control how takes to "make" a PDF from Pagemaker (which actually
includes background printing to a postscript driver).  So the place to
start optimizing is at the postscript driver layer.  I can give you a list
of the complete settings, but basically you lower the resolution to 150 dpi
or lower, and use binary mode instead of compatibility mode.  However, you
only want to RLE compress the graphics at this point. I'll explain why in a
bit.

The Acrobat Distiller will convert the Postscript to PDF.  It's settings
are a bit cryptic, but here are the basic things to control.

a) Looking at the Journal it appears the fonts are minimal.  This is good.
So you should turn off font embedding.  Acrobat will "faux" or synthesize
the fonts anyway.
b) Document resolution should be 72 DPI - this is for viewing on screen, so
match screen resolution.  You can go up to 96dpi but I'd stick to 72.
c) Downsampling should also be 72 DPI.  Acrobat's setting for line art and
graphics is usually much higher, so turn them all down.
d) Compression - the maximum compression should be used.  JPEG Low for
graphics, RLE for line art.

At this point you should achieve the smallest document.

Two additional comments:
1) I wouldn't mail it out via email, especially since it may go overseas to
people with slower than US internet connections.  Post it on the web site
and email a link to it.  People can download it or read it online.
2) WRT Pagemaker - I believe Adobe has EOL'd (End of Lifed) it.  This also
means they will terminate support for it as well.  So you may want to
consider how you will produce the Journal down the road.

73,

Emily