No Subject

The station is a back-pack station with 20W on 2m and 10W on 70cm and an
self-made (arrow alike) 2m/70cm handheld antenna. On my web-page you can see
that it has been used through whole Europe :-)

Now back to the GEO. The downlink may be compairable with the AO40 or Ao10
downlinks. Ao10 has abt 50W PEP and Ao40 on 13cm has 50W too. We all know
how these downlink signals are, not very strong for an FM downlink. Via Ao10
I have done many tests including FM tests. (A transponder is ideal for
testing different kind of modulations) and even with 120W PEP and 32el. RHCP
yagi on the uplink I got none readable signals back. With SSB no problems.

So how you want to do this with a mobile station, having less power, less
antenna gain and lot of interference and reflections of nearby buildings. On
the other hand it is also a huge problem with operation. Local FM repeaters
are a good example of it (in my country I notice this often) that
none-mobile stations occupy the relais and use it as chat box, while
mobile/portable stations have to wait till they finally switch of the ptt
switch after hearing a long long story.

What about some kind of international round, where people all around the
world can log in and talk about their experiments. Then the GEO-sat could be
switched on at a particulair time and after the round it can be switched of.
To avoid time problems, their can be done E.g a round when Europe has
evening and later a round when USA has evening (when sat is between EU and
USA).
Only a few round-leaders are needed in the several continents that control
the round and keep the topic at a good level.

Just an idea to make the crowdy FM more interresting, and to let it
contribute to the whole world.

73 de PE1RAH, William
---