Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 01:11:48 -0000
From: "Steve" <ai7w@comcast.net>
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: ARES and Satellites

I agree that under some conditions amateur satellites could be
used for emergency communications. But as a practical matter, they
aren't a good fit for real emergency communications for the following
reason.
Most real emergency call-outs (as opposed to exercises) are for
long periods of time and require communications 24hr/7days over the
emergency period.
 a) All amateur satellites are available for a limited time each
    day.
 b) Satellite operations require skilled personnel at both ends of
    the link. Assuming 24hr operation with two stations running 8
    hour shifts, you'd need at least 6 trained operators.
 c) Because of the specialized skills and equipment required for
    amateur satellite communications, it would be difficult to train
    average ARES members and difficult to keep their skills current.

In emergency communications the KISS principle is the first rule. You
want everything simple enough that any ARES member that shows up can
do the job (hence the reason that ARES is 'married to their HT's').

BTW: the idea that HF would be un-usable is erroneous. Even in the
poorest band conditions, it's possible to relay messages via HF (using
ground wave propagation if necessary) any time of the day or night.
The fact that HF stations are so common in the amateur community makes
this possible.

Steve .. AI7W
ai7w@arrl.net