SV8/G0SFJ Report

Hi gang,

SV8/G0SFJ operated QRP successfully on both SO-50 and UO-14 last week.
Equipment was my trusty old Arrow (ex the ubiquitous Howard!) and the
NSC-ARS loaned THD-7E, (thanks for the loan). Output therefore 5 watts
approx with 9.6 volt battery. Locator KM19RD, Skiathos Island.

This location was not idyllic for satellite QSOs due to facing directly
South in rolling countryside above a deep cove,  which meant that quite
high elevations were needed in some (a lot of!) directions.

I called CQ on SO-50 many times and got no answer. Operating in full duplex
I could hear myself coming back but no answer....particularly true when
SO-50 was to the East of me.

UO-14 was its usual cacophony of attempted QSOs, telephones, beacons,
engaged tones or dialling tones, unintelligible accented speech on illegal
cordless telephones or fishing vessels, hams whistling, shouting "testing!
testing!" in various languages, tapping the microphone, feedback
howlaround, etc.

Costas, patron of the" Karaoke Bar Agelika" was fascinated by the UO-14
pass last Monday night  - maybe he got some tips, HI - and both he and the
lady from the Varelia restaurant across the road organised small viewing
groups to see the ISS pass on Tuesday night (magnitude -0.6).

The following will receive QSL cards in due course. If anyone has been
missed out then please contact me via the details on qrz.com and I will
check the tapes.

In approximate QSO order  ( * indicates SO-50)

G8ATE      *              (a few times, thanks Robert)
G3LGR      *              (again thanks Mike!)
DO3WW
UA3OX  (intermittent)
PD5GO/QRP/P
F1BBG
GW1FKY  (probably best DX, KM19RD to IO81EM)
F2WB          *
F8BRP       *
SV9FBM
PE2JMR
PD2TL
PA5RWE   *
SV1C V V   (direct on the UO-14 uplink frequency)
RZ3AED    *  (but satellite cut out and did not restart)
IK5BZH
DC7TS
OZ1MY
OM3WAN
HB9SK     *
F6BYG    *
OZ1MY   *
DG2US
YO7LWL/P
DD1UN
DH1RSR
PD0RKC
F5ETM
EB3GND   *
DO1MKA   *

EB8BNS, PD5DP,RA3EC, SP2XDQ, 4L4BC all were called but got away.

Also, UO-14 was off between 1830 and 1844 on Tuesday 5th (I have now read
the BBS).

Thnaks to all who particpated.

73 es Gud dx de SV8/G0SFJ