Covering: Wire Screen v.s. Chicken Wire

John Mock wrote:

--snip
...I'm using aviary wire over a BBQ dish with decent results.  What's called
'aviary wire' out here in California looks like chicken wire, but the
hexagons are spaced 1/2" (13mm) apart, ...
--snip

Common aluminum door-screen wire has an advantage over other mesh wires.
Most Chicken Wire or Gopher Wire or Fruit Drying Wire, whether with hex- or
square-shaped openings, is WELDED at every wire crossing.  Often this
"welding" is just the galvanizing dip material that, in effect, welds the
wires together where they cross.  Aluminum door screen is NOT welded where
the wires cross, and so the screen mesh is able to SHIFT AND CONFORM to the
COMPOUND CURVATURE of the dish surface you are trying to cover.  If the
surface was cylindrical then welded-crossing wire mesh would be fine; it
wraps into a cylindrical surface OK.  But spherical, parabolic, or
offset-parabolic surfaces of antenna dishes are COMPOUND CURVATURE surfaces.

This gives aluminum wire "door screen" material an advantage.  I found when
I attached it to my BBQ Grill antenna that it was very easy to get the
screen material to conform to the compound curvature surface; much easier
than with any of several welded wire mesh materials that I also tried.

Eric, KN6KC