RE: UO-14 off?

> Would you please grow up, even if it's just while you bang on
> your keyboard?
> It's still a satellite, and often the only one available for mobile to
> mobile contacts. All real issues aside, this pathetic little
> comment shows
> your true colors.

I'm glad I did get a chance to use UO-14 last week.  Introduced another
newcomer to the birds - a ham friend up in Sydney.  SSB wasn't an option for
us, FM was the only thing we could get going in short time.  I'm QRT for the
moment, moved house on the weekend and the antennas are still down.  I can
monitor UO-14 on the portable antenna, but the uplink radio isn't working,
so working two way would be a bit tricky (diplexer and band switching
perhaps)...

Also agreed on the mobile comments.  I have worked UO-14 myself while mobile
(sometimes from remote areas) using 5W and a standard multiband mobile whip
with very good results.  UO-14 (and SO-35) was also good for the times I was
travelling by air.  The HTs could be easily packed away in hand luggage
(unlike HF) and brought out once I'd arrived at my destination.  The beaches
of the Gold Coast in Queensland made a lovely backdrop for satellite
operation a few years ago (and yes, careful listeners with a good downlink
could hear the surf! :) ).

A Mode B FM bird like SO-35 would be even better for the newbies and mobiles
down here.