Re: covering

>>> Hello my friends:
>>> Was wondering which would be better. Covering  my 1.2 meter dish
>>> frame with
>>> fiberglass screening  or aluminum screening (hardware cloth), which
>>> would be
>>> better?
>>>
>>> Don...w2xb
>>
>> Fiberglass is nonconductive and won't reflect at all.  It might
>> affect the signal slightly due to near-field capacitive loading but
>> not in the way you'd want.  Go with the aluminum screening -- it's
>> conductive and should reflect RF quite well ..
>
> Plastic is non conductive and it reflects, is fiberglass different?
> I'm looking for a strong light weight 3' dish.   My 3' oblong
> primestar like dish is too heavy for portable.
>
> KB7ADL

Fiberglass itself is the most nonconductive stuff there is -- glass
fiber.  The window screening is typically fiberglass with a plastic
overcoat.  It's not even the best stuff for covering windows, and it's
useless for covering a dish.  The fiberglass patio dishes wouldn't work
either except that they are coated with a very specially formulated
reflective layer that I believe is conductive paint.  I do know that
painting a fiberglass dish (or in some cases even a metal one) with the
wrong stuff can virtually ruin its reflectivity .. the student TV
station at our university here in town wanted me to paint their logo on
the patio dish they were using for a TVRO until I found out about that
from some colleagues.

The surface of a dish is subject to skin effect, basically, and
anything in that narrow space from a few microns inside to a few
microns outside the surface will affect the dish reflectivity
dramatically.  I know of a few dishes once owned and operated by
certain three-letter agencies that even had strategically cut and
positioned tuning patches applied to specific areas of the dish surface
to correct small surface irregularities and increase efficiency.
Overall, any surface with holes smaller than a certain fraction of a
wavelength will appear solid, but that small scale skin effect will
affect the overall "brightness" of the surface at various frequencies ..

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
torn and twisted metal."