Re: ARES and Satellites was "Calculating satellite orbits in advance"

I agree most ARES deployments are local.  In Ky we have two exceptions.  The
first is that our ARES group is one of the larger groups in the central part
of the state and in the past, State emergency management has asked us to
become involved when they are in areas with little to no ham activity.  Last
year, they had us on standby to assist in the potential aftermath of
earthquakes in the western part of the state.  That is way out of range for
VHF and HF could be a problem depending on propagation and weather
conditions.  Although satellite isnt there all the time, especially with
AO-40, we have extended availability when compared to the fm satellites.
The thing that has really got us looking at using AO-40 is a hospital in the
area that has to link with sister hospitals in surrounding states.  The
equipment for using AO-40 is very company when compared to the antennas we
might have to use to establish an HF link.  Again, we are looking at this as
one of the options to use - not just the only option.  Granted the FM birds
arent going to be of much use due to the short passes.

Another reason we are looking at the FM birds for potential local use is
that during the ice storm we had in Ky in February, at one point we lost all
but one of the repeaters in our area and almost lost the last one that was
operational until we got power back to the location and got the ice off of
the antenna.  A storm this bad may not be back this way for a while but
being able to use satellites is at least an option to have as an method of
last resort when all else has failed.

Ron, Ka4kyi
ARES Assistant EC/Fayette Co. Ky