ARES and Satellites was "Calculating satellite orbits in advance"

>CONGRATULATIONS RON!    YOU LIVE IN A VERY PROGRESSIVE PART OF THE
COUNTRY!!

>I've been trying to convince ARES in my area to use satellites for years,
>and they are so married to their 2 meter HT's that I just cannot believe
it.

I'm very active in our local ARES organization and the Red Cross and I'm
sorry, but I don't see a roll for satellites in ARES.

Keep in mind that most ARES activities are local. The long distance traffic
they do deal with is message traffic that can tie up a frequency for hours.
In most cases, portability is critical (this means both setting up quickly
and moving from one location to another quickly). Reliability is key. In an
emergency, a delay in communications could cost lives.

I love the satellites. However, in my opinion, the current satellites would
be of minimum value in any real ARES activity.

How would you propose to utilize satellite communications in ARES
activities?

Steve .. AI7W
ai7w@arrl.net

We had a special effort at one of the conventions to promote it, it is in
one of the JOURNAL'S. but your effort is the first peep that I've heard
of...But I sincerely hope there are others...They'll let me know!!

I use IT, very simple to use, and I print out skeds weeks in advance...You
will know exactly when anything flying is available, and very simple to
adjust what you have printed unless the hurricane blows away your computer!!

If your computer is gone the printout will be still usable...One month
ahead, absolutely no problems...

Also with IT it is a very simple process to instantly recognise the
coverage vs time they will be available...

Maybe someone at ARRL will read this, and get them thinking.  I've tried
for many years to no avail...Sort of a selfish move on my part probably; an
attempt to get interest in hamsats to perform a useful function, increase
our base of supporters, and all that good stuff, but so far I've been
blowing in the wind.
I'm sure your group will be a model for other laggards around the country.

AGAIN, CONGRATULATIONS!!

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....