Re: Re: New baseline for GEO (rev-1)

>I've now compared SuperGeo's uplink to AO13 and AO40 uplink requirements:
>SuperGeo's 0dBi gain antennas will take:
>
>   * 9 dB more than it took for AO13 (9 dBi uplink antenna gain)
>   * 15 dB more than it takes to work AO40 (15 dBi uplink gain)
>
>I have heard it took typically 100W EIRP for AO13.  THus, comparitvely it
>would take 800W EIRP or 40W into a 13 dBi Arrow (is it 13?)

Yikes!

What we need is to get some gain on the satellite end.  Not a whole
lot, just something to get us a little closer to reality.

I have two, probably off-the-wall ideas:

1) get some orientation to the bird, so it can use a small beam.  Wasn't
there a microsat years ago that used a weighted boom to orient itself?
The boom could double as the beam's center strut.

2) if you know which way Earth is, couldn't the satellite choose from
among a set of elements, by phase, to keep its gain aimed at the planet?

Just a thought...

Greg  KO6TH