Re: Calculating satellite orbits in advance

>My ARES group is considering the use of satellites in an upcoming exercise.
>The best I have been able to do is about 30 days in advance.  How far in
>advance can I reasonable hope to do a satellite pass projection, what kind
>of accuracy can I hope for and what software seems to be best for this type
>of projection ?

CONGRATULATIONS RON!    YOU LIVE IN A VERY PROGRESSIVE PART OF THE COUNTRY!!

I've been trying to convince ARES in my area to use satellites for years,
and they are so married to their 2 meter HT's that I just cannot believe it.

We had a special effort at one of the conventions to promote it, it is in
one of the JOURNAL'S. but your effort is the first peep that I've heard
of...But I sincerely hope there are others...They'll let me know!!

I use IT, very simple to use, and I print out skeds weeks in advance...You
will know exactly when anything flying is available, and very simple to
adjust what you have printed unless the hurricane blows away your computer!!

If your computer is gone the printout will be still usable...One month
ahead, absolutely no problems...

Also with IT it is a very simple process to instantly recognise the
coverage vs time they will be available...

Maybe someone at ARRL will read this, and get them thinking.  I've tried
for many years to no avail...Sort of a selfish move on my part probably; an
attempt to get interest in hamsats to perform a useful function, increase
our base of supporters, and all that good stuff, but so far I've been
blowing in the wind.
I'm sure your group will be a model for other laggards around the country.

AGAIN, CONGRATULATIONS!!

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....