From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of Ron Rollinson
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 5:38 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Dish questions for you guys

Well, after about a year of dragging my feet I've decided to get serious
about getting an ao-40 station on the air.  I bought a BBQ dish at
Dayton a couple years ago but after dragging it out to the patio and
aiming it by hand 5 or 6 times I realized I was going to be pretty
unhappy with the performance of the thing.  I'd like to use the
transsystem convert that came with the BBQ (I did the murata filter
mod).  And I just picked up a 1 meter dish a couple days ago for $20.
Here are my questions.  Should I spend the time using the "string"
method to find the focal point of the dish (or another method) or just
go with the same point the old lnb was positioned. I'm planning on going
with a helix feed.  Also, should I invest in a DEM (or some other)
preamp or is it just going to raise the noise level?  Any other
suggestions or advice would be appreciated to help get this thing
optimized. Pictures of the dish are at http://home.fuse.net/ronjr/

Thanks and 73!

Ron, NR8O