Re: Squint

Greg, ko6th wrote:

>Ok,  so it wasn't just me...
>
>I also had a really hard time getting into the bird with a UHF uplink;
>managed to
>work K6SAT, but I was barely readable to him, and he to me.

Nope, it's not just you, Greg.  I made the comment on the net today that I
get some weird signal strengths that are inconsistent with the squint
changes.  I find signal strength consistently vary inversely to what should
be expected, when pointing in a westerly direction...

I peak my antennas, on the beacon, with a separate radio when I do sig
strength comparisons, using a combination voltmeter, attenuator. So it is
not an antenna pointing factor.  I notice it happening only when the
satellite is west of me, and my antenna "looks" at the ocean, with no
obstructions.

Jerry mentioned that he had an anomoly when he looks east from the east coast.

My signals to the western pacific are usually dynamite, and lately they are
pretty watery, though usable.

I've got the offpoint 0/0, and have made comparisons with others, and they
always agree.

Weird antenna patterns on satellite xmit??

Anyone have any ideas??

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....