Re: New baseline for GEO (+SSB)

New Idea for Super Geo!

WAS: If we put all the spacecraft power (say 100W) into an FM donwlink
then every mobile in the hemisphere could tune it in.  Total operating
time would be about 2 or 3 hours of scheduled directed nets a day.

NEW: If we put all the power into a SINGLE SSB downlink (FM uplink) then
we can use it maybe 24 hours a day!  BUT it eliminates 99.5% of all
mobiles being able to hear it (unless they carry an SSB)..

This gains all the LINK and average POWER advantages of SSB, and elimnates
all the disadvantages of a wideband transponder (linearity, AGC pumping,
sharing, etc).  But the BIG downside is that it eliminates the primary
advantage of a single HAM channel from space, and that is it's ubiquity
of being able to be received by everyone.

But, if someone would build us a 10W PEP single channel SSB transmitter
we could fly it too and leave it on all the time.  Then only turn on the
FM transmitter for special events intended for all of HAMdom...

Maybe we dont need 10W?  I dont have time now to re-do the link budget for
2m downlink to ground user with an ARROW antenna and 20 dB SNR (I want
CLEAR easy-listening reception)...

Or we make it a full linear SSB transponder (but only 3 KHz wide) so that
we dont have to deal with wideband issues and power sharing, but get the
single channel link advantages...  We have to get the average DC power
below 10W to leave it on all the time (and someone else has to be fully
responsbile for building it)...

Hummh...?
Bob, WB4APR

The SuperGeo idea was:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/supergeo.html