R: longest land distance on AO-40

Hi Barry ZR6DXB,

My QSO with ZL1AOX in RF73KC covering 18,263 Km was made using
1,2 meter dish and 120 kelvin overall equivalent noise temperature receiving
system having AO40 Est of my QTH but on a free horizon.

I hope to get a schedule with Ian now on his new RF72MV locator to get
18,285 Km hopefully if the ZL1AOX horizon is still the same as before
"free".

My working conditions are still the same and since i get the AO40
transponder noise at apogee with almost 20 degrees of squint angle than no
improvement on S/N happen in my receiver if i increase my dish diameter.

A free horizon is the most important.

Normally when AO40 is West of me on a free horizon on the see i can
get QSO with USA even if my elevation is negative down from -1 to -1.5
degrees.

WD5GQM Fred is the most uptodate station in USA to report about this
consistent experimented QSO possibility with my station in more than one
year of experiments using negative AO40 elevations and using for uplink
both 70 cm and 23 cm with small differences.

We are investigating about the possibily of propagation via formation of
ducts as waveguide over the see or possibly because of knife diffraction
over the mounts of  Sardinia wich is in the path between my QTH and AO40
when QSO with negative elevation of AO40 is possible.

If fellows in USA like to joint this negative elevation possibility with my
station in JN70ES they are welcomed.

WD5GQM is not the only one i have contact in this condition and many other
stations in USA probably remember this peculiar opportunity.

Someone ?

73" de i8CVS Domenico