Re: Parallelling UP/DOWN Connections

Bill:

Good question.... I've thought of doing the same thing myself.  Your
question prompted me to think on it a bit.

I see a potential problem, but it's easily solved by using DPST pushbuttons.

Let's suppose that the up/down buttons work by grounding an input to the
radio.  To use a single SPST button, we'd have to tie the mic commons
together, and then tie the up inputs together, and the down inputs
together.  This might create a problem if the voltages supplied to the
inputs (internal pullups) were not the same.  We've tied the mic commons
together, so we will have a current flow through the tied-together up/down
inputs if they are not pulled up to the same voltage.  At best, we're
wasting energy.  At worst, som magic smoke leaks out.

As mentioned above, simple solution is to use DPST pushbuttons, so that we
don't have to tie the radios together.

See ya someday on AO-40!

Paul W4SKI