RE: longest land distance on AO-40

At 11:16 PM 7/31/2003 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi Domenico, Dave and Scott.
>
>My old location was at RF73KC, and I believe yours is JN70ES, which gives
>approx 18,263 Km. If I work you from my new QTH (RF72MV) it will be 22 Km
>further.
>73 de Ian ZL1AOX
>
> > Dave,
> >
> > > On AO40 the longest  was ZL1AOX  Ian in  New Zeeland
> >
> > On OSCAR-10  ZL was never in range with Italy for any best argument
> > of perigee.
> >
> > 73" de i8CVS Domenico

Hello Ian,

Computing roughly it looks as tho you are one of the few who could claim
the record if you worked someone in ~Spain....You can do the math for the
exact location..

I once claimed the SHORTEST distance working my wife, Leanore, ka6ucd when
she was in my garden shack (50' from the inside one), then my neighbor,
Brad, n6gr, got on AO40, and his antenna is 20' away from mine.  I'm sure
someone at a special event or FD will beat that record some day, and that
is what records are for!!

That's like "DX" on any satellite?  I never really quite understood the
term as applicable to satellite operation...Looks like one should take into
account PATH distance, and consider counting at apogee only?  Now "DXers"
don't get your tail in a knot!  I've been enjoying DX on the birds for many
years, even if I don't really understnd it!

It would sure make it interesting for whomever will have to do the accounting!

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....