Re: LEO Mobiles

Hi Bill,

I have both the Icom 2720H and the FT-90R (one in the house, one in the
car) and I've used them both for satellite work.  Program in steps and just
tune down while the doppler shifts.

The 2720H is nice because it has two full VFOs.  That means that if you can
use a headphone or earplug you can work full duplex.  It also will function
as a cross band repeater if you would prefer to use a HT and Arrow for the
downlink.  Just program in a 440 simplex frequency in the 2720H and adjust
the offset in the HT to hit it.  Then when you key the HT, the 2720H will
relay the signal up for you.

The FT-90R has only one VFO, but it will do cross band receive and
transmit. So you are limited to simplex.  However the big feature of the
FT-90R is that it is small and light.  You can velcro it onto a small Gel
cell and carry it around like an HT. (I have mine mounted with Velcro for
just this reason.)  It also fits in little nooks and crannies.

- Emily

At 06:19 PM 7/30/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Besides the Alinco 605TQ, the FT-8900, and the FT-8800, what dual band FM
>mobiles, current or older, allow you to program discrete channels (must be
>more than one, for Doppler and multiple satellites) into the radio with
>2m/440 pairs for the LEOS, AND allow full duplex (you can hear the downlink
>as you talk).
>
>FM  mobiles only... Obviously, the FT-847, or 910 can do this.
>
>Bonus question: What HT's will allow you to do this?
>(send me email, and I'll post the results)
>

>-----
>
>My FT-5100, FT-5200 will do one channel only (you could do it by VFO -- set
>the uplink, and adjust the downlink with the knob -- but I want to have a
>set of  five freq sets set for each working LEO bird (14, 27, 41, 50)).
>
>The FT-530 is the same, correct? I haven't been able to set it up for
>multiple pairs.
>
>Bill
>W1PA
>----