Re: LEO Mobiles

I would love to hear anyone's experiences with the FT-8800, as I am
considering getting one of those for my vacation/travel LEO
radio.  Difficult to evaluate for myself, as UO-14 isn't up during HRO
hours here in Arizona!
PS on a further note...some may recall I was portable in EM00 and EM20 a
couple of weeks ago.  I took my (older) Kenwood TM-721, which is a full
duplex radio as well.  BUT...I couldn't hear for beans.  No, I didn't have
a preamp, but I heard much better with my VX-5R and rubber duck than I ever
did with the TM-721 and a 1/4wl whip on the top of the van!  Turns out the
manufacturer specified frequency range only goes down to 438MHz!  I haven't
measured if there is a real sensitivity drop below 438, but obviously you
don't want to have to plan on something that's outside the specifications.
PPS Sadly, I managed to luckily be in DM81 while driving back (Interstate
10 cuts a very small corner of DM81, and the XYL hit it just right!), but
worked no-one on UO-14.  I heard a 9Z4 station but heard very little
else.  Don't know if anyone heard me (as I tried calling blind--sorry!).
There are I believe a couple of other current radios that are full-duplex,
but only spec'd down to 438 as well (I think they're Kenwoods as well).

At 15:19 2003-07-30, Bill Acito W1PA wrote:
>Besides the Alinco 605TQ, the FT-8900, and the FT-8800, what dual band FM
>mobiles, current or older, allow you to program discrete channels (must be
>more than one, for Doppler and multiple satellites) into the radio with
>2m/440 pairs for the LEOS, AND allow full duplex (you can hear the downlink
>as you talk).
>
>FM  mobiles only... Obviously, the FT-847, or 910 can do this.
>
>Bonus question: What HT's will allow you to do this?
>(send me email, and I'll post the results)
>

>-----
>
>My FT-5100, FT-5200 will do one channel only (you could do it by VFO -- set
>the uplink, and adjust the downlink with the knob -- but I want to have a
>set of  five freq sets set for each working LEO bird (14, 27, 41, 50)).
>
>The FT-530 is the same, correct? I haven't been able to set it up for
>multiple pairs.
>
>Bill
>W1PA
>----