Re: Electronic components might survive lunar temperatures

Interesting and creative test method.  Definitely a gold start for
effort .. ;-)

But .. the thermal cycle a device on the lunar surface is typically
going to be looking at is about 2 weeks at +200 or thereabouts,
followed by about 2 weeks at -200.  The temperature isn't the killer,
it's the duration of exposure to each extreme.  And the fact that the
components will be operating in a vacuum and will only be able to use
conduction and radiation to get rid of internally generated heat.  I'm
pretty sure most semiconductor components will tolerate an hour or two
at 200 F, but a continuous soak of 14 days would probably kill just
about anything on the market.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's possible that behind some sort of shield that would block direct
sunlight the internal modules would not be heated nearly as much as the
exterior of the package, but this would require extremely careful
design .. over a 14 day heat soak even well isolated parts of the
package would be heated pretty significantly.  Getting through the dark
period would be somewhat easier IF there's some source of power that
can keep it going "overnight" to generate heat.  That source of power,
for obvious reasons, would have to be something other than PV, and I
won't stir up the whole RTG hornet's nest again except to say that
that's about all that works through the lunar night.

Basically, good work, but far more extreme engineering is going to be
needed before this thing flies ..