Re: Working the FM Satellites

Hi Ron,

Congratulations on joining the sat crowd.  I started out with exactly the
same configuration as you are using.

-  AO-27 is rarely on for voice.  The exceptions are supposed to be
Saturday and Sunday mornings, but even then those are iffy.

-  SO-50 has much less transmitter power than UO-14, so it's harder to
hear.  Also, if you transmit to it, you need to have a 67Hz PL tone in
order to activate it. And SO-50 requires a control operator to turn it
on.  It was on at 19:30Z today over the western US/southern Canada pass.

-  AO-41 - I assume you mean SO-41.  It's dying or dead so far as I
know.  Maybe someone here can post more info.

The best (though not always the most recent) news is at the AMSAT weekly
satellite report:
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/news/wsr.html

73,

Emily