New satellites for beginners / new members????

>The military has multi-user FM geo sats that allow
voice and digital modes (we used 1200bd bpsk). With a
manpack radio running on batteries at 20-25 watts, I
made contacts with a very simple manpack turnstile
antenna during Desert Storm. These sats were in the
225-400 mhz range if I remember right.

Paul,
The military satellites are 'HUGE' compared to what we can afford
to get launched.  They have kilowatts of power, compared to our
40-200w flea powered satellites.  So their downlink power budgets
are massive compared to ours. I use to work on military satellites
and there is no comparison. So we carefully pick our uplink and
downlinks to match the orbits we can get and the power we are
able to generate in the limited size of our satellite.

73
Keith (N6ORS)