Re: Can DXing save AMSAT?

Wayne posted some comments and I'd like to comment on parts of those:

> The planned launch of P3E will correspond roughly with the bottom of the 11-
year  solar cycle.  HF DXing will be miserable.

Well not really, the lowbands will be jumping but I agree with the statement.

> Satellite operators can attract a LOT
of attention, respect, and hopefully new members from the HF DXing community.

As a newbie on AO-40 and the LEOs I am working both.  Every month at my Dx
club's meeting I state the DX that I've been working.  Most DXer's really don't
care about working FL or CA or VE but when I tell them I'm working 5T, 4X, and
UA, their ears perk up.  Most hardcore DXers want to work them all, all bands,
all modes.  Well, even if it's not true wireless, working them sat mode gives
the DXer something else to strive for.  We have meetings at each other's QTH
and I will proudly show off my sat setup and may get some converts.

>  We could also attract frustrated "wannabe" DXers who live in areas where
they aren't permitted to put up big HF antennas.

Right on Wayne! And they can still work around the world.

>  DXers are historically very willing to spend money on their stations and
give generously to "enablers" such as DXpeditions, and hopefully AMSAT.

You know it!  Hardcore DXers want to work the DXpedition on at least all bands
and all modes and some will do so at any cost (plus or minus).

We all should really talk up the DX aspect of satellites and I agree the more
DX sats the more converts we would have.  Phil  KB9CRY