Yaesu 5400B overhaul

A good ham friend (Lembit VE3ETB) passed away last winter and he left
me his Yaesu 5400B rotator / controller. It appears on the outside to
be in good condition. We were unable to find the manual.

Any comments on whether or not I should 'crack the case' and do some
preventive maintenance on this? I'd rather grease it, clean pots (or
whatever) now rather than after I stick it up on the tower!

Also, do I NEED the manual? I don't mind buying it if it actually
provides useful info. Some manuals these days are pretty useless,
others quite good. I don't know anybody who has one to even look at
before buying one from Yaesu.

Thanks for your thoughts!

David
VE3STI