Re: Beginner birds

I have to disagree that an linear (SSB) transponder is simpler than FM.

In an FM transponder the high-power stages operate class C which is
inherently very efficient and 80-90% of the DC power is converted to RF. A
traditional earth-bound design can be copied and work well. Integrated
circuits are available to reduce the weight to a few ounces.

In a linear (SSB) transponder up to 50 independent signals must be
multiplexed onto one power amplifier. A class AB amplifier as used for
terrestrial HF SSB communication is useless in this application as the
distortion levels are too high. Earth-bound equipment that handles multiple
signals, such cable TV and cell phone base stations, use class A amplifiers
with about 10% efficiency. The HELAPS power amplifiers used on AO-11, AO-13
and AO-40 acheive higher efficiency by using two class A amplifiers in a
bridge arrangment plus presistortion to increase efficientcy. They are much
more complex than the amplifiers that are used for terrestrial communication
and more susceptable to failure. If I remember correcly, the maximum
published  power efficiency for the AO-13 HELAPS PA was 50%.

A third method that could combine the simplicity and efficienvy of FM and
the multi-channel capability of SSB transponders would be a digital TDM
transponder but we won't see it for a few years.

73,

John
KD6OZH