From: David Reinhart [mailto:wa6ilt@bellatlantic.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 4:05 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] RE: Beginner Birds

I agree with Wayne.  I think Mode A is the best balance between multiple
user access (i.e., transponder), ease of use and equipment requirements.  A
beam isn't even necessary.  I made lots of RS-10 contacts using a 2m ground
plane antenna and compensated for the lack of pointing ability with more
power.  The only problem was with very high angle passes.

I am willing to put money and effort into a bird with Mode A capability.  My
skills as a builder are not great, but I'll pledge my labor and $1,000 for a
satellite that can do Mode A.

Dave Reinhart
wa6ilt@NOamsat.org

Much snipped.  Wayne wrote:

I think the best entry-level satellite is Mode A, which offers a quali ty
user experience and a very EASY TO HEAR 10m downlink.  The 2m SSB uplink is
more difficult than FM satellites, but it offers an upgrade path to the
higher satellites.  But maybe my thinking is biased by the fact that I'm an
"old timer" who became a ham when HF SSB was the main attraction of ham
radio.