SO-50 FAQ

Since there have been so many questions on SO-50 lately...

SO-50 FAQ
Updated: 22 July 2003

1) When is SO-50 on?

AMSAT-NA President Robin Haighton, VE3FRH, said some time ago "SaudiSat-1C
will require activation on each pass by a designated control operator. A
worldwide network of designated control operators is now being developed so
that radio amateurs may begin using the satellite immediately."

2) How do I become a control operator and who appoints them?

KD4APP was given the job to coordinate/appoint SO-50 Control Operators by
W4SM shortly after the bird was made available. We have a number of Control
Operators already - please let KD4APP know if the bird is not being
switched on in your area and he'll try to get in touch with the control
operator(s) and see if they can have it on more often - it is possible that
he may need to add more control operators in your area.

3) Why is SO-50 not on all the time?

Control Operators can activate it any time they are available - please
realize this is a hobby and Control Operators have other commitments and
may not be able to activate SO-50 on each and every pass.

4) Why can't everyone be a control operator?

We would have no control over the satellite and the satellite owners have
asked us to operate the bird with Control Operators for now.

5) Who does the satellite belong to?

See http://saudisat.kacst.edu.sa/index.shtml

73's

Don Woodward