Re: Helix or ao uplink or not?

Brian,

>  Im very new to AO40 and would like to know if a helix 435mhz is good for
>  uplink
>  to AO40 or is it better with a X-yagi if we say the gain is the same on
both
>  antennas?

A helix is a pretty good transmit antenna because it is easy to build and
tune and has a wide bandwidth (it is hard to go wrong).  Plus, it is already
circularly polarized.  I do not care for them as receiving antennas at UHF,
though, because that wide bandwidth means they pick up a lot of noise.  A comparable
gain Yagi, although more difficult to build, tune, and get working as
circularly polarized, acts as a front end band-pass filter for your receiver.  There
are several satellites using UHF downlinks and many more on the drawing
boards.  For that reason, I would recommend a Yagi over a helix.  If you plan to use
it exclusively for AO-40, then my comments don't apply.
73,
Jerry, K5OE