3731AA Downconverter

I have just received my downconverter which will allow me to hear AO40.
The unit is a 3731AA.

When connected it all up then applied power (20v) I didn't hear any
change in receiver noise level and now suspct I may have a failed unit.

In the 3731AA DOWNCONVERTER OPERATION document under 'Power for the
downconverter' it states it will except up to 25 volts, which I am well
under.

In the next paragrarh under 'Receiver Preamp Powered 12 Volt Option' it
indicates not to use above 15 volts.

I am now confused, what voltage should be applied to the downconverter ?

Pete VK4CCV