Re: Logging satellite contacts

I worked sats this way with various radios including a W32A for about 3
months.  Here is the best suggestion I an make:

1) Program in 5 channels on the 70cm side of the W32A  at +10khz, +5khz,
center freq, -5khz and -10khz, This makes it very easy to follow the
doppler by just retuning in steps. (You can do this for several satellites.)
2) Insert a Y connector into the radio.  Connect the one side to a cassette
or MD recorder. (I used an MD but I think a cassette would have been better.)
3) Wear a comfortable headset with a boom mic, and a PTT button.  Connect
it to the other side of the Y connector.
4) Wear cargo pants - I put the HT in a pocket near the top so I could
easily reach the tuning nob to adjust for doppler.   Since I was doing this
sometimes in the rain or drizzle, it kept the radio dry.
5) Start the recorder as soon as you hear quieting, and dump it into
another pocket.

When the pass is over, review the recording, log the the callsigns you
worked, and write down the ones you didn't.  I found it helpful to keep
track of the stations I didn't work so I could try and work them the next
time around.  Also gave me a chance go get used to their voices and the
rhythm of their callsigns.  And recording them meant no wet paper to fool with.

Hope this helps.

73,

Emily