Re: Area coordinators

Team:

Thanks to Jim Sanford, WB4GCS for installing latest version of the AC
Listing that I have given him.  It incorporates a number of changes
that I had received prior to the publication of the AC Listing that was
in the March/April 2003 issue of the AMSAT Journal.

Please realize, however, that the version that is now on the web site
is already out-of-date.  It is the same version that was published back
in March/April issue of the AMSAT Journal and since that time I have
received a number of corrections/updates.    However, due to my recent
illness, I was unable to update the AC Listing and then pass it to
WB4GCS for uploading to the web site.  The file date of the current AC
Listing on the website is 17 FEB 03.  The date reflected on the web
site (15 JUL 03) is the 'upload date', not the date that the AC data
was last updated/corrected.

I am doing very well with my recovery and went back to work full time
last week.  I am not at 100% and am trying to pace my workload and
volunteer activities.  I am still attempting to catch up on a number of
projects for AMSAT, including the AC Listing.  Given my travel and work
schedule and the schedule that WB4GCS is under, my current intent is to
give him an updated AC list by early next week.  Hopefully, this new
version will reflect most, if not all, the changes that I've received
to date.

I apologize for the fact that the AC has been out-of-date for quite
some time.  However, sometimes things occur that one doesn't plan for
(illness) and other priorities kick in as a result (getting well).

I also understand that there has been a great deal of discussion on
amsat-bb concerning our volunteers who serve as Area Coordinators.  As
I noted in the "Field Ops Update" column in the March/April 2003 issue
of the "AMSAT Journal", we are always looking for volunteers to serve
as 'Ambassadors of AMSAT' on the local level.   Whenever a volunteer
approaches me about serving as an Area Coordinator, I send that
individual an overview of Field Ops and how one can serve as an Area
Coordinator.  For your convenience, I am including that overview below,
so that in the event you may be interested in serving as an Area
Coordinator, you'll have some idea what it is all about.

A  few individuals have indeed contacted me over the past three months
about serving as an AC, but due to my situation, I have failed to
respond in a timely manner.  I hope to get caught up in my
correspondence in the next 10 days or so.   Again, my apologies for not
responding as promptly as these queries deserve.

Everyone should realize that our Area Coordinators are volunteers and
pretty much define for themselves the scope of work that they are
willing to perform.  From the 'job description' below, it is clear that
an AC may serve a variety of functions and that 'satellite expertise'
is not a prerequisite.  What is important, however, is knowing where to
find answers to queries received that a volunteer may not have direct
knowledge, and be able to respond in a reasonable timeframe.

Should you have any questions about Field Ops, please review the
materials below as well as the "Field Ops Update" article in the
March/April 2003 issue of the AMSAT Journal.  You can also contact me
at wd4asw@amsat.org.

'73
Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW
VP-Field Operations
AMSAT-NA

Thank you for your interest in serving as an area coordinator.

Area Coordinators (AC’s) are AMSAT members who volunteer to ‘show the
flag’ for AMSAT.  They serve as “Ambassadors of AMSAT” in their
respective areas and provide encouragement and support for people
interested in learning about the amateur radio satellite program.

Qualifications

Individuals who serve as AC’s must meet the following requirements:
-Maintain a current membership with Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation
(AMSAT-NA)
-Have electronic mail capability through the internet (e.g.
wd4asw@amsat.org)
-Be willing to work with individuals and organizations on a
case-by-case basis
-Be willing to accept phone calls from individuals at home
-Be willing to have their name and address/home phone number listed in
the Area Coordinators Listing (which is published in the March/April
AMSAT Journal) and which is provided to interested individuals (such as
new members) at hamfests and by the  AMSAT office.   This listing is
also posted on the AMSAT website (www.amsat.org/fieldops).

In order to ensure our area coordinator listing is current, please
forward to me an e-mail which includes:
-Your name and callsign
-Your e-mail address that you want to receive field ops e-mail as well
as use to send e-mail to the field ops broadcast.  Unless directed
otherwise by you, I will use the 'reply to' address that is included in
your e-mail to me.  Please note that I need your "true" e-mail address
(not an alias) so that in the event you send an e-mail to the fieldops
broadcast, your transmission will be accepted.
-Your home address (including zip code)
-Your home phone number (including area code)
-If possible…Your work number (including area code).   Note:  Work
numbers are not released in the ‘Area Coordinator Listing’…this is for
the use of Martha Saragovitz (AMSAT's office manager) and I only in the
event that there is a need for one of us to reach you during the day.

Once we have you added to the list, should there be a change in status
of your address, phone number, etc., please send me another e-mail with
the updated information.  Keep in mind that I maintain the AC Listing,
not Martha. So, if you send Martha an updated address (so that your
membership record reflects the latest information), please send me the
same thing.   AMSAT cannot cross reference the AC listing against the
membership roster, so it is likely that if you send a note to Martha
and not to me, she won’t realize that your are an area coordinator and
my list won’t be updated.

The Field Ops Team

Area Coordinators are not expected to be ‘Experts’ on all facets of
satellite communications.  Clearly, AC’s will have excellent
familiarity with those areas that they have personal experience, such
as working the digital satellites, the LEO satellites, RS satellites,
or AO-40.  However, one is not expected to be an expert in ALL areas.
When we talk about satellite communications today, we must include a
wide variety of satellite options, each with their own requirements and
capabilities.

Area Coordinators ARE expected, however, to know where to find answers
that may be posed to them and to promptly respond to queries that they
may receive.  The secret, of course, is to know where to get
information that may not be readily known to you.  Generally, answers
to most questions can be obtained one of several ways:

-From AMSAT publications that you may have (Such as the “Getting
Started with Amateur Satellites”)
-From the AMSAT Web Site (www.amsat.org). If you haven’t explored the
AMSAT web site recently, take a look at what is available…everything
from downloaded software to specific information on current  (and
future) satellites in service.
-The “Field Ops Update” Column in the AMSAT JOURNAL.  The column
typically talks about activities/accomplishments of our AC’s which may
lead you to think about what kinds to things that may appeal to you.
-By all means. download from the AMSAT web site a copy of the “AMSAT
Resource Guide” developed by WA4YMZ and updated by N1JEZ.
-From other Area Coordinators
-Periodic ‘Field Ops Bulletins”released via e-mail

To support our coordinators, AMSAT has established an electronic
re-mail service.  All area coordinators are added to the field ops mail
broadcast (fieldops@amsat.org) which area coordinators may use at any
time to send out queries.  In addition, Field Ops Bulletins are sent
out periodically to all area coordinators.  The ability to communicate
with the entire Field Ops team is a significant benefit and is the
reason why we require that all individuals who wish to be designated as
an area coordinator maintain current Internet e-mail capability.

Keep in mind that there are area coordinators who have served for a
number of years.  Should you run into a question about how to deal with
a particular question or situation,    ‘raise the flag’ via e-mail to
the FieldOps Broadcast and someone will likely give you the information
or advice that you are looking for.  After all, many coordinators have
been through similar situations as you may find yourself.

We also maintain an ‘Experts Listing’ of area coordinators who have
indicated that they are willing to take queries about their particular
areas on interest.  For example, we have individuals who are willing to
discuss the FT-736R, IC-821, satellite tracking software such as
Instant Trak and NOVA, working the digital satellites, working with the
Kansas City Tracker, Operating through the RS satellites, etc.   We try
to update this listing periodically. If you are interested in offering
your area of interest, please send me a  e-mail (wd4asw@amsat.org) with
your area of interest identified.

Functions

Area Coordinators are volunteers.  As such, the types of activities
that AC’s conduct in support of AMSAT are dependent upon a number of
factors:
-The interest of the individual
-How much time an individual has to support AMSAT
-The needs of the local community
-The degree of support from AMSAT members and other AC’s in their area
-Opportunities that may be made available to support AMSAT (such as
club presentations, displays at local hamfests, etc.)

Because each individual faces different circumstances, there are no
‘set rules’ concerning what an AMSAT Area Coordinator is required to
‘do.’  Clearly, how much interest and motivation the volunteer has will
influence how ‘active’ an area coordinator will become.  Suggested Area
Coordinator activities include:
-Giving club presentations
-Working an AMSAT booth or display table at hamfests
-Establishing an AMSAT net on a local repeater (and getting volunteers
to help run it)
-Serving as an ELMER to new satellite users
-Developing materials tailored to local interests for distribution
locally
-Participating in Field Day by having a satellite station as part of
the local effort
-Seeking answers to questions that local individuals may present but
which the AC doesn’t have personal knowledge  (see above about getting
answers)

Above all, area coordinators must always remember that ‘YOU are AMSAT.’
    How much time/effort you spend on AMSAT related activities is pretty
much your call.  However, we do request that everyone follow ‘common
sense’ with regard how you conduct yourself.  This means, for example,
that
-Area Coordinators maintain common courtesy when dealing with others;
-E-mail and telephone queries are replied to promptly (even if that
means sending a note promising that the area coordinator will respond
within a specified period of time)
-No question is ‘too dumb’ and one never discounts a query
-You maintain qualification as an Area Coordinator (membership is
current, e-mail capability is retained, etc.)

Other Support Functions

Club Presentations are an excellent way to interest other amateurs in
satellites.  To help area coordinators put together their own materials
(tailored to the interests of the audience as well as the presenter),
there are a number of presentations available that you can modify to
fit your needs.  The majority of these are in Power Point format and
were developed by various individuals in response to presentation
opportunities, such as Dayton Hamvention,   satellite workshops that
AMSAT/ARRL have presented over the years as well as items that our area
coordinators have developed on their own.  Some of these can be found
on the AMSAT web site.  An "AMSAT Area Coordinator Toolkit" is
available which contains the latest versions of these materials.
Typically, the Toolkit is updated annually and is distributed to Area
Coordinator during the AMSAT Symposium.

AMSAT also maintains a ‘net listing’ of known AMSAT regularly scheduled
nets on HF, VHF, and UHF around the US.   Don't forget to check the
Area Coordinator listing on the AMSAT website to determine where other
Area Coordinators are located near you as well as confirm that we have
your listing properly updated.

Summary

The success of any organization is based upon the willingness of people
to step forward and make a difference in how that organization
succeeds.  The AMSAT’s Field Ops has benefited from the hard work and
dedication of its volunteers, and our future accomplishments will be
based in part upon the willingness of our area coordinators to share
ideas.  I trust this overview paper will give you some idea of what the
Field Organization is all about.  Should you have any questions or
suggestions on how to make AMSAT’s field organization more successful,
please don’t hesitate to contact me via e-mail (wd4asw@amsat.org) or
landline (904-359-1933 days/904-616-6276 nights).

Once again, welcome aboard!

’73
Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW
VP-Field Operations