Re: bad choice of words

----- Original Message -----
From: "Woody" <kj4so@nc.rr.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] bad choice of words

| Hi Greg:
|
| RE:
| > I think everone's views are important, I may not agree with alot that
has
| > been said this last week on the amsat-bb but I do respect the next
persons
| > ideas and thought. I hold no grudges agianst anyone for what they have
or
| > have not said in supporting AMSAT directions.
| >

| You wrote in a previous reply to Bob:
| >>>>>>
| "WHY ARE YOU SO AFRADE OF THE TRUTH BOB,    you know playing darts is also
| random act. why dont we just put the issues on a dart board and throw
darts
| at it and see what we hit, or put the issues on a wheel and play the price
| is right.
|
| and if the typical return of all member survey is only 5% then that must
| mean only 5% gives a rats #$% to step up and be heard and the other 95%
dont
| care, I cant believe that 95% dont care enough to reply to a survey that
| involves their membership money and how it is spent (on what projects),
and
| by the way why would anyone have a AX to grid anyway, has any of the BoD's
| given anyone a reason to have a AX to grind.
|
| so you wish to only sample 200 out of 4000 members, boy glad we dont vote
| for our public officals in this manner". <<<<<<<<<<

| Note:  The formatting and spelling of the above are verbatim from the
| original posting.
|

| This was NOT respectful of someone's ideas and thoughts, nor was it
| respectful of the difficult job that the BoD performs, or of the members
of
| the BoD.

I do not dis respect any of the BoD's or our AMSAT-NA president, and I am
sure nobody has a clue as to how much time and work they put in, or how
difficult that job can be. so dont call me dis respectful.

| Several people have very patiently written to describe how and why
| statistical sampling surveys are taken and how well they work.  So far,
your
| attitude has seemed to be: "Dont confuse me with the facts, my mind is
made
| up".

No my mind is not made up (never is), it's just sound like they are saying
everones vote does not matter on important issues. I am sure a sample survey
will work. just dont make it sound like the other 3600 people dont matter.

| It sounds to me like the BoD are open to constructive criticism and new
| ideas.  There have been some very good ideas presented on the BBS, but
| recently there have also been a lot of snide remarks and second guessing
| from Monday morning quarterbacks, critical of BoD decisions on the BBS.
| Some of these comments have been very selfish and even childish.

 your right, there has been some good ideas out there.
"selfish, childish comments" only come from those who have not been given a
good answer or pointed in the right direction to find that answer, and I
think there has been alot of that over the last week.

| There have been comments that implied that the BoD and AMSAT Officers were
| hiding financial information and decisions, when in fact, all of this
| information is published and readily available.

your right, it just takes a second for someone to point them in the right
direction to find it, some of wich takes a great deal of research to find.

| These types of comments will only accomplish more reductions in membership
| and could lead to a fractured and crippled organization.

it never has in the past,  and as you and I both know there will be other
issues down the road that will come up that will have to delt with.

| As long as I am on my "soap box", I have been amazed at the number of
| non-members who complain about BoD decisions and the way that AMSAT is
| operated.  A non-member has NO right to complain about an organization
that
| he does not help to support.

I have to agree with you on that point, instead of saying they have no right
to complian, has anyone asked them to join so they can vote for a change in
the way they see things, I bet not, I hope they will join and become AMSAT
members.

| If all of the regular users of the satellites were to join AMSAT, I doubt
| that we would have financial problems.  Hams are notoriously "cheap",
myself
| included.  However, I think that people who operate on the satellites on a
| regular, or long-term basis, should help to support and fund what they
use.

True, give what you can when and when ever you can, money, time, demos,
support......