RE: AO40 U-AGC question

Kevin Schumann wrote:

so how do you respond to YOUR problem.... you run more power....  so now the
trees are not a problem for you but your banging the AGC is a problem for
everyone else....

Wayne replies:

Actually, I DON'T run more uplink power when I have tree obstructions.  More uplink power doesn't help me hear other stations.  When I have tree obstructions I don't hear as well and I don't operate as much.  Like I clearly wrote in a previous message my uplink power is usually slightly less than "LEILA bait", 6 to 7 dB below the beacon.  I back off the power when operating CW or when somebody gives me an unusually good signal report.

A much larger dish would only give me a modest improvement because the extra gain would be significantly offset by increased tree attenuation and a larger portion of the orbit obstructed by trees.  That's because in my case a much larger dish would be mounted closer to the ground and closer to the trees.  To varying degrees this tends to be true for everybody because it's not practical to put a big dish as high as a small dish.

Kevin Schumann wrote:

When will anyone learn that with this sat in the mode its in right now...
this little receive big transmit caca ain't gonna cut it......

Wayne replies:

If it makes you feel better I will say that I just pretended to make 132 AO40 contacts during FD with my 2-foot dish, patch feed, 0.7 dB NF preamp.  And all the other stations (mostly with small dishes) just pretended to hear me.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA