RE: Which is better: TS-2000 or FT-847

Hello Daniel

> As am Amsat Area Coordinator I am sometimes asked questions that I cannot
> answer. Several days ago a gentleman called me to ask about whether he
should
> buy a Kenwood TS-2000 or a Yeasu FT-847 for use as a satellite radio. I do
not
> own either radio but I promised to find an answer for him.

Here's an answer I've prepared before for a similar question. Hope it helps.

The FT-847 and TS-2000 are both great radios. Here's what I can think of of
the differences...

FT-847 Pros over TS-2000

o Preamp power
o Discriminator meter (good for Doppler correction on FM analog/digital
satellites)

FT-847 Cons

o Some (ie, mine!) have nasty birdies in the FO-20/29 passband when
transmitting

TS-2000 Pros over FT-847

o Full computer control (including volume, squelch etc etc)
o Dual receive (but FM/AM only on 2m, 70cm on 2nd rx)
o Internal TNC (but limited use for digital satellite operation)
o HF automatic ATU
o Optional 1.2GHz module

TS-2000 Cons

o Big birdie on AO-27 & SO-50 downlink makes operating AO-27 & SO-50 very
difficult
o When operating satellite mode, the transverter display function operating
on the downlink cuts the uplink power to 5W (renders this feature useless
when operating satellite)
o Only 10 satellite memories (FT-847 has 12)
o Very difficult to operate satellites manually with the TS-2000B via either
the RC-2000 or the PC front end. The TS-2000 is fine in this respect.

73 Howard G6LVB