Re: Sampling survey

so Bob,

What's the alternative?  Send out a survey by...radio?  So what freq and
time?  Send it by e-mail...are all 4000 members capable of receiving
e-mail.  Call them on the phone...yeh right!  Send someone on-foot knocking
on doors?

I well-designed sample is far better than a hodge-podge list of questions,
written without considering that they may impart the bias of the framer.
Polling and analyzing surveys is an art and a science.  Of course humans
perform them so errors can happen.

So what is the alternative.

We are having an election via mail...now that is the ultimate survey!  Are
you saying the election is flawed because some members chose to ignore the
election and throw away their ballots?  The failure to respond to a survey
is also information!

I say if you want to survey the thoughts of the membership then you must
include all members.  If they chose to participate or not...they had the
opportunity.  When you analyze your returns you can address the reply
ratio....and derive an opinion on what that means.

73, Ed - AL7EB
PS: my black&white ballot arrived today.