RE: Take the survey - MEISSE REPLY -

Having watched the chat about surveying on the -bb, I feel compelled to
spit out my opinion.

Surveying the membership is a very valuable, board policy, and
operational management tool, however the purpose must be viewed from a
different perspective.
It is of no value to survey all the members and ask how they would run
AMSAT. That is the job of the Board and Officers.

At the upcoming Board meeting I will propose that we indeed conduct a
sampled survey the membership, but that survey will be intended to
develop a "Fact-Set" which will tell us the demographic profile of our
membership and their factual involvement, operational capabilities, age,
sex, educational background and the like. In addition we would develop
questions to build an "Opinion-Set" which has more to do with their
views on possible scenarios. This survey would be done on a pure
statistical sample basis, no open voting.

The results would give the Board a good overall view of just what the
demographics of our constituency are and what options could best serve
that constituency. It is JUST A PLANNING TOOL, no more, no less..

The Board then has to deal with the hard facts and determine the proper
way to proceed on many different Policy issues. That same data provides
guidance to the Operating Officers in their day to day operation of
AMSAT. Don't forget that any survey is a frozen moment in time, and
things change.

Hopefully we will gain additional insight into the proper way to take
AMSAT forward into the coming years.

Gunther Meisse
W8GSM