Re: Possible interest survey questions

At 05:09 PM 7/14/2003 +0000, cbuttsch@slonet.org wrote:
>It then appears that this question is irrelevant!  If there is to be a
>question from the life members then the only alternative is the
>Presidents Club open to everyone including Life Members.  Cliff K7RR

While I couldn't prove it, I expect that many life members are like myself.
When I bought my life membership, it was a pretty major investment for me,
but it represented my long term commitment to the organization and to
the concept of Amateur Radio in Space.

As time has passed, I've not always been active on the satellites but I
continue
to follow AMSAT closely. In recent years, one of the highlights of my radio
activities has been my QSO with the Space Station for which I highly appreciate
and approve AMSATs support of this project.

When there have been specific drives for funding specific projects, I have
additionally
contributed when and where I could afford to do so. I will continue to do
this as
much as possible for me. Based on that statement, yes there are some of my
'earmarked funds' applied to AO-40. There are none of 'my' earmarked funds
applied
to SAREX  but the ONLY reason that there are not is that there hasn't been
(to my
recollection) a specific funding drive for that project. Had there been, I
would have
most definitely supported it and I DO support SAREX as an AMSAT activity.

It's for the reason above, that people who try to use the 'earmarked funds'
argument
to measure support for various specific programs is truely an Apples to Oranges
argument. It just doesn't work that way.

I 'spend' my BOD votes for those candidates that I feel will act in the
best overall
interest of the organization and spend our money wisely. It's not an easy
job to
make decisions that affect such a widely diverse group as ours.  So far, I
haven't
yet been disappointed over the course of my 25-30 years of membership. If it
happens that I am, I will 'spend' my vote for a change. That's the
democratic way.

I don't try to second guess the current BOD and I don't complain in public
because
current projects aren't the kind of satellites 'I' like to operate (which
is not particularly
the current case). That's silly.

John - K9IJ
AMSAT Life Member

>Robert Oler wrote:
> >
> > Hello Cliff
> >
> > I like all your ideas but this one will run into some problems..
> >
> > <<7)  Should life members be asked to volunteer funds equivalent to dues
> > every few years or is participation in the Presidents Club sufficient?
> > <<
> >
> > you can ask all you want but the instant a life member is required to
> > contribute something else to retain their life membership then some life
> > member will promptly sue the organization.  I am not going to voluteer
> funds
> > equivalent to dues every few years or participate in the Presidents club to
> > retain the benifets of my life membership.  If I thought AMSAT (or any of
> > the other groups I am a lifer in...ARRL, USNI etc) were doing anything that
> > merited additional funds I might donate some earmarked money for.
> >
> > But so far AMSAT isnt there.  And spending money on Strows making school
> > contacts and satellites that are declared success even when well they
> really
> > are not wont cut it.
> >
> > But I fully support the rest of your "points".
> >
> > Robert WB5MZO

>----

-

John Rice  K9IJ