Re: radio on the iss

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Greg Wycoff wrote:

> question for the ARISS group. Can the ham radio gear on the ISS be used
> as a cross band repeater. if not maybe that should have played into the
> thought proccess.

PCSAT2 has a crossband repeater. (It was supposed to fly to ISS this
month, but with the SHuttle problems, it is grounded till January or
later)..  But how we will use it is TBD.  Primarily its purpose is to
serve as a "uplink monitor" during crew QSO, so that we on the ground can
hear what the astronaut is hearing on the uplink.

THis real-time feedback (or sidetone) will let the uplink be more well
behaved, as everyone else will stop calling when they hear someone else
making it.

de WB4APR, Bob