One for Ham Radio

Score one for HAM radio.

Over the weekend I was hearing saturation advertising for the NEXTEL
nationwide "walkie-talkie" feature.  Ham radio already has that and its
global!

With IRLP and ECHOlink, we got that.  And since I am convinced this is the
future of HAM radio, we got more coming.

With APRS knowing where everyone is automatically, and having global
instantaneous signaling, its only software to let end-to-end users
communicate voice while knowing only the callsign of the other party.
The software sees the called party, checks APRS to see where he is,
compares that to the IRLP/ECHOlink resources and sends APRS messages to
both ends informing them of the nearest IRLP/ECHOlink node and telling
them the frequency.

THe users QSY and the voice call is completed.  Now add a PIC processor to
the serial port of the Kenweood D7 or D700 which watches for the QSY
recommendation, and it can automatically QSY the radio over the same
serial port.  THus, fully automatic end-to-end global voice on HAM radio.

ALl the infrastructure is in place.  All it takes is a little software.

See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/avrs.html

I thought of posting about the NEXTEL "walkie-talkie" in response to the
complaints that there is nothing new in HAM radio.  We have had Phone
patches for 40 years since the Witchita Autopatch, but the general public
now has cell phones.  Now THEY want walkie talkies!  We should capitalize
on their marketing blitz and say "Got that!  Join HAM radio!"

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

APRS<=>VOICE:   http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/avrs.html