RE: AO-40 Field Day Telemetry suggestion

I have enjoyed the impact of the FEC work of Karn, Naylor, Miller,
etc. so much that Frank Brickle, AB2KT, and I have begun working on using
the SDR1000 (http://www.flex-radio.com) to do several satellite things
but included in this is an FEC data mode with automatic transmitter power
control. Indeed you will not be able to hear this mode when it is in
operation in most cases.  We will be experimenting via the transponder
on AO-40 in a month or so.  Frank and I are also doing an FSK demod
in this to handle the higher data rates that will be used in the
FSK transmitter for AMSAT ECHO.  We are hoping to be talking at DCC
and AMSAT annual about this work.  We have 22 Khz of bandwidth to
play with and no modifications to the radio are required (other than
to write software).  I am grateful to Rick Hambly for bringing the
problem of FEC onboard AO-40 to a head earlier and for suggesting this
work to me for AMSAT-ECHO using this new tool.

Bob
N4HY