RE: ARISS Benefits AMSAT

Keith N6ORS wrote:

>The second phrase is one i have heard a lot lately also. And i think
>people who use it should also read about why amateur radio or more
>accurately why us amateurs were allowed frequency spectrum and the
>privilege to transmit in them. I dont think you will find the main
>reason was Service to other groups or people.

Excuse me? What about the first paragraph of FCC Part 97, Basis and Purpose of
the Amateur Radio Service, part A:

"(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to
the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly
with respect to providing emergency communications."

It does not specify that emergency communications is the only basis for
service to the public.

We're not trying to take the place of parents or do guidance counseling for
students on what they should do with their education, we are simply trying to
save what's left of amateur radio before it becomes the exclusive province of
grumpy old men. What is the point of building satellites if there are no hams
left to talk to after the senior citizens have passed on from this Earth?

If I want to hear tirades against evil liberals I need only tune my radio
between 550 KHz to 1700 KHz, I don't need a satellite for that.

Dan Schultz N8FGV