RE: ARISS Benefits AMSAT

Keith,

There is a common misconception in the AMSAT community that human
spaceflight vehicles (Mir, Shuttle, ISS) are not satellites.  Any object
that orbits the Earth is considered a satellite. Actually, to quote
Webster's dictionary, a satellite is:

"a device designed to be launched into orbit around the Earth, another
planet, the Sun, etc."

Clearly Mir, the Shuttle and ISS fall into this category and are satellites
(when they are in orbit).

Another thing.  If you read the many articles the ARISS team have written
over the years and presented at the AMSAT Symposium, we have always stated
that an integral part of our program will be the development and deployment
of external payloads on ISS.  These can be university payloads, AMSAT
payloads, etc.  These will operate as satellites that are "attached" to the
ISS.  Pretty much totally autonomous (they will need to be shut off during
EVAs, but these only happen a couple of times a year and are no longer than
7 hours each).  Early next year the first of these are expected to be
flown.  A Naval Academy Satellite called PCSat-2.  So, does this fit your
definition of a satellite?  Is this something that AMSAT should work
on?  Seems to me that there is a "satellite" opportunity here that the
AMSAT hasn't thought about.  That opportunity exists only if the AMSAT
community considers ISS a satellite.

Think about it.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO