RE: Re: RE: ARISS Benefits AMSAT

The following is excerpted from the Amsat webpage titled "What Is
AMSAT?"; That was written in 1997.

"In addition to its unmanned satellite efforts, AMSAT has also been
active in manned space and educational activities. Working together with
the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) and the National Aeronautics and
Space Administration (NASA), AMSAT volunteers helped develop new
space-qualified hardware and have since donated their technical
communications "know-how" to a number of flights involving Amateur Radio
operation aboard the NASA Space Shuttle. In recent years, these Amateur
Radio operations, called SAREX (which is short for Shuttle Amateur Radio
Experiment), have been used to bring school children in a number of
countries into direct radio contact with Shuttle astronauts in Earth
orbit.

For over 25 years AMSAT groups have played a key role in significantly
advancing the state of the art in space science, space education and
space communications technology. Undoubtedly, the work now being done by
AMSAT volunteers throughout the world will continue to have
far-reaching, positive effects on the very future of both Amateur Radio,
as well as other governmental, scientific and commercial activities in
the final frontier. Rarely have a group of "amateur" volunteers managed
to do so much...for so many...with so little."

The Sarex (now ARISS) was a major program activity of AMSAT when I
joined in the early 1990's.  It was never slipped in under my nose but
always presented openly along with all the other programs AMSAT has been
involved with.  Besides, it is spaced based amateur radio.  If AMSAT
should not be involved, I'd like to know who should (or could) be.

Kevin
N3HKQ