Re: president's club

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Don Agro wrote:

> > Geeze..  My schools, my fraternity, the boy scouts, my church, my
> > alumni associations, my old varsity sport, in fact, every orgaization
> > that solicits contributions uses this technique to give some
> > recognition to those that dig deeply into their pockets.  If some
> > AMSAT people think this technique is elitest, then I'm sorry, but I
> > have no sympathy...
> >
> > Give what you can give, but don't begrudge the others that are somehow
> > able to give more.
>
> The amount was not the issue Bob, but the elitist tone of the
> 'president's' club.

That was exactly the "technique" I was refering to.  Every donation driven
organization I know of offers a similar type of recognition for those that
give the most.  Saying AMSAT is being "elitest" is rediculuous.

I think someone in the position to donate 20 to 100 times more than the
average guy diserves some recognition.  If he wants to remain anonomyous,
he doesn't have to go drink from the punch bowl.

Bob