BOD election

To all on AMSAT-BB,

This is my input to the AMSAT-BOD election.
The first thing I need to communicate is what I am NOT.
I am not running  in order to pump up my ego.  I have enough plaques
and awards from AMSAT, ARRL and NASA to look obnoxious on the wall
already.
I donít believe that it is necessary to send out a mailer to every
AMSAT member other than the one that is sent out with the ballots. It
would be wonderful if folks who want to help AMSAT that badly would
invest that money in AMSAT. The reason I put my name in is that I
sincerely believe I have something to offer to the BOD at a time when
AMSAT is facing some very severe challenges.

I have spent the last 20 years working on various AMSAT projects like
SAREX, Phase 3D, ISS-HAM(ARISS) ECHO, and Eagle. I believe in getting
in there and doing something to help on projects not lurking in the
background.

I am not a politician, I will probably not always be politically
correct although I will do my best.

I am an engineer. I spent 30 years at NASA designing systems as needed
for their space program. I worked on many systems that were supporting
research and science both on ground based systems and space flight
systems. My specialty was sensors and Robotics.
I was not a paper pusher or much of a beaurocrat. That probably
explains why I was never the head of NASA.

I always try hard to listen to all who take the time to communicate to
me their ideas. Personally I prefer doing that privately so that
everyone can be candid and not be pursuing a political agenda. Those
who know me will attest that I always listen but take the
responsibility to make a decision on myself.

I believe that the efforts we spend on ARISS are very valuable. In many
ways it is planting seeds. While we donít always see the fruits of our
labor immediately, there are many ways in which AMSAT and therefore  WE
the members of AMSAT benefit. First of all those young kids will grow
up to be adults. If we donít plant the seeds we canít expect to reap a
harvest in the future. Where will we be without them in the future?
There wonít be any ham radio much less an AMSAT.  For each child we
reach there are parents, teachers local politicians  the press and the
public who are also watching.  There is certainly an amplifying effect
for all those successful school contacts. At the same time we gain a
level of respect from the space agencies who are also watching. It
helps when you are asking them for a launch.
I worked on the first ham radio that was taken into space by an
astronaut by Owen Garriot W5LFL in 1983 and have worked on some part of
every system since. I have been there and I have stayed the course. I
intend to continue to work on the ham radio system on ISS as I have
since itís beginning.

In 1995 I took five years off from working on the manned spacecraft to
work on Phase 3D which is now called AO-40. I was able to apply my
experience gained working for NASA 30 years by serving as P3D
integration and Laboratory Manager and assembling the most complex
amateur radio satellite ever built.  It is still performing although
not as well as we had hoped. How many spacecraft do you know that have
sustained an internal explosion and are still functioning?

Right now I serve as the the U.S. Hardware manager for the ARISS.  In
that function I am responsible for the design of all U.S. Hardware on
the ISS-HAM project.

I believe that AMSAT needs to complete the project Echo LEO satellite
and then follow up with the Eagle high orbit P3 type satellite which is
now on the drawing boards. Both will serve our customers who are you
the members of AMSAT. Personally I enjoy the high orbit phase 3 type of
satellites although I havenít been on much. There always seems to be a
higher priority task either at home or with the ISS - HAM project.  I
have been on UO-14 and AO-27 many times but am frustrated by the taxi
drivers and the constant walking on each other. Some folks love that.
That is good also. AMSAT is a diverse group and some folks will like
and dislike whatever you do.

One of the things I bring to the board is a thorough understanding of
what it takes to build a satellite and to operate a satellite. I think
such representation is very much needed on the AMSAT BOD.

I am very concerned about the future of AMSAT.
It seems to me there are at least two major problems.
The most obvious is financial. AMSAT is using up itís reserves. This
must stop!
There are several ways to stop that. One is to stop spending. In that
case we would not be providing any services to the members and AMSAT
would wither and die from the second illness and that is the membership
loss. Personally I think itís the membership who makes AMSAT what it is
and what can save it. We must find a way to bring back the enthusiasm
and make the membership feel like they are getting their moneyís worth.

How do we do that? I am sure I donít have all the answers to that.  I
do believe it can be done through careful  listening to and taking some
actions on the memberís desires.

We also have to look for other sources of revenues.
Some have mentioned endowments. That will be wonderful if we can find
sources of funds to put into the endowments.
I am not sure what the answer is. I do think we can do a better job of
selling software and services to the public and to our members. We need
to create a user friendly environment for all our members and
customers. We need to contact previous members. If we make AMSAT the
kind of organization everyone is proud to belong to the membership will
be there.

In these days of poor economic times all not for profit organizations
are having a hard time.
The key is to be resilient, to stick together and keep our sights
focused on the future of Amateur Radio in Space. If we can succeed in
that we can insure a future for AMSAT.

I will appreciate your support for the AMSAT BOD.

Lou McFadin W5DID AMSAT life member.