FT-817/100 Transmit Inhibit Function?

Has anyone used the transmit inhibit function on the Yaesu FT-817 or FT-100?
The manual shows a pin on the rear panel accessory jack (8 pin mini-DIN)
which is supposed to inhibit the transmitter.  Grounding this pin does not
appear have any affect on my FT-817.  If anyone knows how to activate this
function, I would appreciate hearing about it off the list.  I want to make
a circuit that prevents damage to a receive converter in case I
inadvertently use the PTT with the down converter in line.
Thanks,
John, KJ6HZ