Re: ARISS

> Mike,
>
> Very good point.  That is a good question.  What happens to keep the
> kids interested in radio AFTER the contact?  Maybe someone with ARISS
> experience can answer that question.

I was personnally involve in one ARISS contact demands and we just succesfully make one school contact in
june. As per as i can see ARISS is doing more promoting NASA and the space program re:the actual ISS than
bringing young folks to ham radio.

I arrange an HF qso's session between students of two school about 60 students take their first experience in
ham radio. I manage also to make some DX contacts to impress the crowd but i failed short when students told
me that they do the same each evening when chatting on MSN...and they added too the sound was much better no
crakink, no noise, and no donald duck voice...

When i read some post i pinched myself to see if i'm not dreaming. I'ts like some folks are disconnected from
the real world. I'm also remember time in the past where i was tuning my first shortwave receiver receiving
ORTF in France and sending them reception reports. My son told me recently when i showed him my QSL cards why
i was sending them a letter to told that i can hear them when he can listen 24/7 Radio france international
(RFI) on the SAT dish? I answer him back telling in those times few peoples can received these signals and it
was special at that time to be able to copy stations all over the world.

He was also telling me around age of 4 "Dad is the world was all in black in white before" this was after
telling him that there was a time when TV was all in black in white as the old grand fathers ptotos albums.

There is probably some gains coming from ARISS but i'm still waiting answer to:Question -1 Did AMSAT ever
evaluate the return on all of his promoting program ARISS and so on? It is worthwhile or money will better
invest directly on satellites construction.

As Dieter says "We elect our BOD members to make these and other pertinent decisions.  For people who think
that they know it all much better than our elected BOD  members, they have the option to run for and be
elected on the AMSAT BOD."  Lets them explain to the members forces theses "other pertinent decisions" .
AMSAT is still i think a democratic organisation and those who want to put their heads in the sand let those
who stand up and ask questions and commenting issues  asking and commenting freely.There is no need to
reinvent the wheel but if we feel that the job is done by BOD and members issues are correctly managed, the
flow of questions will surely dry up.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE (AMSAT 33583)
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator