ARISS Benefits AMSAT

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Jon Ogden wrote:

> I think the ARISS contacts are extremely valuable.
> But the question, "Should AMSAT spend money on ARISS?" is certainly a
> very valid and worthwhile question.  it benefits the overall AMSAT
> membership very little and drains funds that could be used to build
> satellites

If that truely represents the AMSAT membership (instead of only a few
vocal ones) then we appear to be a small minded ME FIRST selfish lot.

If one sits back, looks at HAM radio in space, as seen by the FCC, Kids,
the media, the public, and the 99% of HAMS that are not supporting AMSAT
and one would have to be blind not to notice that the biggest item in
space, and the most visible HAM space contact is ISS.  No individually, it
doesnt satisfy our individual ego's very much.

But sometimes I think we can enjoy just seeing someone else benefit from
this great hobby.  ARISS is the biggest ham radio item in space (next to
AO-40) and I think the AMSAT support of it is just about right.  By the
numbers I have seen, it looks like funding for 30 years of ARISS is about
equal to one LEO satellite.  I think the ARISS support is well worth that
investment.

de WB4APR, Bob