RE: where does our money go?

Jeff:

They have external funding we are unable to tap and have
easier access to the launch authority than we do.  The
Deutschland government supports several of the principles
to do the work as part of their every day jobs. AMSAT-DL
arranged for ALL Phase III bird launches. I would hazard
a guess, and would even put my $1000 part where my mouth
is.  If we got a launch, we could do Eagle.  I think if
we do not get a ride to Molniya on a Russian launch, it
is not likely to happen.  However, without a transponder
designer and builder, it pretty much is a moot point.
Again, if you think you have the skills, or know someone
with the skills who would love to get in on this hootenanny
identify yourself or that person (with their permission)
and someone will beat a path to your (their) door.

As to the other implication in your question, we (AMSAT-NA)
have a credibility/perception problem.  People think the
P3E project and its leaders are more credible would be
my guess.  But let me shout, that THIS IS ONLY AN
EDUCATED GUESS to answer your question.  I also believe
in Field Of Dreams (if you build it. . .) so my opinion
counts for very little would be my estimation.

As to redesigning the wheel, no one wants to redesign the
wheel. Every group, to survive, needs an identity and
a goal or purpose.  We have chosen two it seems to me:
To promote the use of space for amateur radio communications
and education and to BUILD our own thing.  Having been
a part of the building community here in AMSAT-NA no one
ever says we do not want to take hand me down plans but it
is implicit.  There is a natural competition to build
widgets and to do your own design.  There is no reason
for us not to borrow useful ideas and indeed we are
sharing technology with AMSAT-DL.  It is no accident that
Microsats (including Echo) and UOSAT's are all based on
the "module is the frame" concept. As an example that
has already been pointed out here, the very first person
who ever mentioned the words CAN-BUS to me was Peter
Guelzow back in 1989! Apparently CAN-BUS is the spacecraft
bus design for Eagle.  The CPU being considered for
Eagle is the same CPU that Lyle and people working with
him are designing for Karl's Mars mission.  It is
my understanding that a mechanical, electrical,
etc. satellite design exists for Eagle on paper and if we
had transponders we could even build it, given the
money.  Our group needs money and a couple talented
folks in the RF picture and a launch.  Outside of those
small details, we could have Eagle tomorrow ;-).

Bob